Assistant Manager – Communications & Government Affairs (Full Time)
The American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong (AmCham) is one of the largest American Chambers outside the United States, the largest international chamber in Hong Kong, and one of the most dynamic and influential international business organizations in the Asia-Pacific region. AmCham’s mission is to foster commerce among the United States, Hong Kong, and Mainland China; and to enhance Hong Kong’s stature as an international business center.
The Assistant Manager of Communications & Government Affairs (C&GA) supports the Director of Communications & Government Affairs in strategic communications and government lobbying efforts. Responsibilities include managing and supporting Chamber and committee advocacy activities, conducting research, drafting and editing advocacy documents, liaising with local and international media organizations, and performing public affairs functions. The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to attend important meetings, as well as receive trainings on strategic communications in the chamber setting. Administrative tasks expected.
This position is an excellent entry point for those who have 2-3 years of relevant work experience with an ambitious career goal in corporate communications, government affairs and public policy sectors. All interested applicants, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In summary, below are the key responsibilities:
- Support Chamber and Committee advocacy activities
- Conduct research and surveys
- Draft advocacy submissions, papers and reports
- Communicate internally and externally
- Conduct interviews, draft and edit advocacy articles
- Draft and edit press notices and releases
- Manage logistics of press conferences and Q&A
- Organize briefings
- Organize and manage Charitable Foundation activities
Government Relations & Public Affairs
- Assist in the research and identification of legislative, regulatory and political threats to, or opportunities for, AmCham and support implementation of Public Affairs strategy.
- Work with the President’s office on the scheduling logistics for Government Relations meetings with Hong Kong & U.S. senior government officials, representatives, think tanks and other important visitors.
- Support C&GA Director to compile materials for GR meetings, such as briefing papers, agendas
- Work closely with membership team to identify and engage relevant company representatives to participate in GR meetings and supervise on on-the-event logistics in ensuring smooth operation.
- Maintain and track HK and US government officials / visitors database
- Under guidance of C&GA Director, support and execute advocacy-focused Committees’ advocacy agendas
- With the support of GR Interns, conduct research prior to HKSAR Government’s consultation exercises
- Assist in the drafting of Chamber’s submissions and position papers, including the annual Chief Executive’s Policy Address consultations
- Prior to deadlines of submissions, communicate extensively with AmCham Leaders and members at all levels to review and approve documents.
- Assisted in managing and coordinating with other departments and external organizations to develop GR meeting calendar on specific topics and/or ad-hoc meetings
- Extensively coordinate with overseas agencies and schedulers in overseas delegations. Manage delegation’s schedules, logistics and other administrative matters- pre, during and post trip.
Board Support & other Chamber’s events support
- Work with President’s Executive Assistant, to handle logistics of BOG scheduling
- Work with C&GA Director and the President in setting the agenda and planning strategic discussions for the monthly BOG meetings
- Assist C&GA Director in compiling necessary materials for BOG meetings
- Draft BOG meeting minutes
- Collaborate and coordinate with other team members on Chamber’s signature events involving HKSAR government officials
- Be the project owner for Board-related action items and coordinate with relevant stakeholders for necessary follow ups
- Draft and edit press notices as needed.
- Coordinate with the Executive Assistants of the President or Chairman, and other spokespersons, on the scheduling of media interviews.
- Manage logistics of press conferences and press briefings in coordination with Events team members
- Under the guidance of C&GA Director, identify and engage regional and local media representatives for various events and chamber activities
- Develop and maintain press kits for AmCham
- Keep the team updated on media reporting and coverage for inclusion in AmCham’s newsletter
- Under guidance of C&GA Director, manage Board of Trustees meeting agenda and compile necessary documents with GR Executive’s support.
- Take minutes of meetings
- Work with Communications & Social Media team members to develop communications materials as needed
Skills & Attributes
- University Bachelor’s degree in Government, Law, Public Policy, Journalism or similar
- 2-3 years of relevant work experiences
- Strong interest in government policies; basic knowledge of US, Hong Kong, China government structures
- Strong strategic thinking and research skills
- Polished interpersonal skills to liaise with government officials and senior executives
- Ability to maintain professional network of contacts
- Ability to work independently, self-starter, self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Fluent in English and Chinese (written and spoken)
- Excellent career prospects
- Competitive all-rounded remuneration package
- Adequate training to enhance your professionalism
- Opportunities to develop new skills and network throughout your career
- 5 day work week
- Exposure in sizable companies
- Medical and life insurance
- Education subsidies
- Immediate available is highly preferred
- Full time, permanent